Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Fwd: Complete Rejection


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Parenting Today's Teens <information@heartlightministries.org>
Date: Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 9:09 AM
Subject: Complete Rejection
To: Kelly <philandkelly@gmail.com>


Parenting Today's Teens with Mark Gregston
Events Donate Resources
The Parental Gift of Presence
Video screenshot
Share
Facebook Twitter
I Mustache You A Question
Q: My teenage son has recently left me feeling baffled and almost hopeless. He has always been a straight A student, and fairly easy going. Recently, we got his progress report and he had 3 failing grades. He also began slacking off doing chores and breaking other family rules, such as family dinner at the table and taking food into his room. We took his phone away, so he called his dad and moved in with him that day. I practically begged him to go to counseling with me, which he did. After a few weeks, I realized I was being very much a 'ruler' and made a list of things I would compromise on, as well as a list of expectations.
 
He agreed to do his 3 chores every week, eat dinner with the family 3 nights a week, throw away trash from food in his room on a daily basis, and have passing grades. He did good for a week or two, then slowly started slacking off. He's now failing two classes again, has a room full of food wrappers and dirty dishes, eats with us maybe once a week, and halfway does his chores, if at all. If I say anything to him he gets angry and threatens to go back to his dad's. I'm feeling like I have my hands tied and am not sure what I can do to enforce any rule with him.
 
He is not interested in any outside activities like sports or clubs at school, other than his youth group at church, so there is nothing I can 'punish' him with by taking it away. He has no tv, no video games, no phone... nothing. He is content to lay in his bed and stare at the ceiling. I'm just not sure how to get through to him on any level.
 
Any advice you can offer would be welcome.
A: Something is going on that you don't know about. This is so complicated that I'd tell you that...
KEEP READING
We'll answer a new Mustache question every Wednesday.
Submit yours to mustache@heartlightministries.org
Facebook Twitter Instagram
©2016 Heartlight Ministries
P.O. Box 480, Hallsville, Texas 75650
Privacy Policy  |   Contact  |   Unsubscribe