Thursday, June 2, 2016

Fwd: Worship Fertilizer # 91 :: We Need Hills


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dave Helmuth <dave@adlibmusic.com>
Date: Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 11:12 AM
Subject: Worship Fertilizer # 91 :: We Need Hills
To: info@gehmanmennonitechurch.org


There are seasons where we need to steadily plod along on our path, but hills push us in ways that are out of our comfort and strength zone.
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
Worship Fertilizer
Howdy! 

Over the winter, I'd been riding my stationary bike. It gave me time to watch teaching videos on my iPad while getting some much needed exercise.

I got the bike for free on Craigslist, so it's a pretty simple bike. I can raise or lower the resistance by two up/down buttons on the handles. But I treat those level buttons like your average rookie church sound guy - I set it and forget it. (but that's for a different Fertilizer)

I keep it one manageably consistent level.

My wife recently reminded me that I also own a real bike. Like one you can ride outside.

Ooh, that does sound nice, I thought.

So I headed out for a ride.

The area around our home (and most of Lancaster County) is very hilly.

I was struggling up a particularly persistent hill on West Ridge Road and I thought to myself (and the cows I was passing) "I would never push myself this hard on the stationary bike!"

That's when I realized that we need hills.

There are seasons where we need to steadily plod along on our path, but hills push us in ways that are out of our comfort and strength zone. Look, I'm not a natural gym rat or runner or Crossfit junkie. I will stay with what's comfortable and manageable.

We all tend to do that in some area. That's why we need hills.
We Need Hills
So what would be a "hill" in your ministry?

  • Memorizing the music?
  • Having a difficult conversation with a team member?
  • Getting your desk organized by Tuesday?
  • Keeping it organized for more than 3 days?
  • Learning modern techniques on the piano?
  • Creating ambient sounds on your electric guitar?
  • Playing with a click?
  • Planning further than 38 minutes before rehearsal starts?
  • Spending an hour practicing before arriving at rehearsal?
  • Praying for 22 minutes a day?
  • Worshiping alone when you're not planning your songs?
  • Scheduling a month in advance?
  • Learning to transpose?
  • Mentoring a new worship leader?
  • Improving your ability to sing harmonies?
  • Learning some hymns?
  • Holding your team member accountable for showing up late?
  • Losing those 35 pounds?
  • Turning your phone off on evenings and weekends?
  • Staying off social media when you're supposed to be working?
  • Looking into your spouse's eyes when he/she is talking to you?

I mean, your hill can be anything. But if you're currently on a hill, be encouraged by this: It's pure joy! So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. (James 1:4 NLT)
I'd love to hear from you! (just respond to this email) 
This is the 91st Fertilizer! Click here to catch up on previous Fertilizers and here to get a printable version of this Fertilizer.
LeadWorship
WORSHIP TRAINING EVENTS
How you can get training!

The Day(Saturday, June 4 from 6:00-10:00 PM)
This longstanding, free, outdoor night of worship featuring Brothers McClurg and Jeff Deyo will be held at the New Holland Park, 400 East Jackson Street. Click for details. (rain location: Petra Church)

Leadworship Workshop (September 30 - October 1, 2016)
Paul Baloche is coming to Petra Church for his Leadworship Workshop! These 24-hour worship intensives begin with a Worship Night on Friday and a day of instruction on Saturday. The workshop will cover both the heart of worship, as well as address the importance of working on your primary skills as a musician, vocalist, or audio tech. Register here.
WORSHIP LEADER GATHERINGS
How you can get connected! Read some of what we do at these groups here.
Worship Leader Groups

Dave Helmuth
You are receiving this email because at some point in your journey, Dave Helmuth, Ad Lib Music, or someone connected to us, helped you grow in your relationship with the LORD through worship. If you ever find this resource unhelpful, simply unsubscribe below and continue on your merry way. 

 

Ánimo!

Dave Helmuth
In simple love and pure devotion to Jesus, we are eradicating isolation and burnout so that leaders bear much fruit!

Email: dave@adlibmusic.com 

Phone - 717.468.6428
www.AdLibMusic.com 

Like us on Facebook  Follow us on Twitter View our profile on LinkedIn Find us on Google+ Find us on Yelp View our videos on YouTube Visit our blog

Ánimo: courage, refresh, transform, bring to life, encourage, inspire, intentionally cheer up,
come on, it's not far now!
Ad Lib Music, 1629 Stonemill Drive, Elizabethtown, PA 17022
Sent by dave@adlibmusic.com in collaboration with
Constant Contact