Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Fwd: REAL November News


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: R.E.A.L. Life Community Services <rod@reallcs.org>
Date: Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 6:59 AM
Subject: REAL November News
To: Phil Horning <philandkelly@gmail.com>


REAL November Updates, Phil!
View this email in your browser

MINISTRY UPDATES

DECLARATION HOUSE

Much has happened at the Denver House recently. 
We have finally settled on the property and we're busy cleaning it up!  In the past three weeks, we have had 50 different volunteers adding up to 280 volunteer hours towards our goal of 13,000 hours needed to make this project a success!  We have counted over 23 refrigerators, 20 air conditioners, 45 TV sets, and many box springs and mattresses.  So far, we filled five containers (150 yards) of garbage and debris.  But, there is still a lot to do to transform this blighted property to be 10 full apartments, a social service "Hub", and much needed medical, dental, and counseling offices.  We are asking anyone who has any interest to help us to CLICK HERE.  If you have access to professional services and know of building material vendors, please contact Rod Redcay by clicking HERE.

WHAT WE DO
 

Campus Ministry
Youth Center
Transitional Home
Community Support
Youth Development
Power Packs Project
Social Service "Hub"

Youth Empowerment

Support REAL!

Great Way to Support REAL Life Community Services!  It costs you nothing and only takes a Click!

Mail a donation: REAL LCS

PO Box 22
Denver PA 17517
Thank you to everyone who gave during the Extraordinary Give. 

We raised $13,605!

It's time for New Beginnings.  REAL Life Community Services held its annual banquet on October 27  It was a wonderful evening of hearing what God is doing through REAL, singing along with Conlan Kirschner, and or course eating delicious food catered by Hershey Farms. 

Ministry highlights included the recent purchase of the Denver House.  REAL is in the process of cleaning it out and preparing it for renovations.  It can seem like a daunting task but with the help of many volunteers, monetary donations, and God, ALL things are possible!  The remodeled Denver "Declaration" House will consist of 10 apartments, the HUB offices for REAL, and Welsh Mountain Medical services.  To get involved or to learn more, please contact Amy Pfautz, Administrative Assistant, at amypfautz@gmail.com.

 
REAL is also actively involved with PowerPacks, a food program to help those in need within the Cocalico School District.  Currently over 40 families are receiving weekly groceries and recipes.  To learn more and to get involved, please contact Donna Smith at 717.336.4050.

"The HUB" Social Services is another big issue REAL is bringing transformation to.  We are excited to have Chris Hibbert on staff as our Social Worker. She is working with families in need and connecting them to the correct organizations and services that can help meet their needs.  There are many hurting people we can touch and show the love of Christ to. 

We continue to minister to the youth in Denver at the Light House Youth Center.  Teens are hearing about and being shown the love the Jesus.  It's exciting to hear the stories of how God is transforming their lives!

It is truly an exciting time with much to be done.  It is a time of new beginnings!

Light House Youth Center

By: Julie Sheidy
 

I frequently hear the words "Safe Haven" used. My church, for example, and REAL Life Community Services desire to be safe havens. The news talks about the need for safe havens for victims of war. Your home and your school are safe havens. We agree safe havens are important in our lives. To be safe means you are free from danger or injury. To be in a haven means you are in a place where you are protected from danger or trouble. I am now picturing some of you sitting in your favorite chair, wrapped in your favorite blanket, having your favorite choice of beverage, surrounded by people you love and trust.

 

Putting the two words together - Safe and Haven - means you are in a place of protection or shelter, free from danger or the threat of danger. Oddly, the Dictionary defines a safe haven as, "A temporary place of refuge or security." The word temporary in that definition removes the guarantee that you will remain in that safe place forever.

 

When I started writing, I thought of many places I consider to be safe such as at church, at home, visiting family, sitting in the park, lying on my couch in front of the TV, at my desk at work, in my car during a thunder storm, in my back yard, etc. The more I thought of these safe places, I was reminded of others who thought they were safe at home or at school who were not free from danger and met with tragic ends.

 

This is not to scare anyone. I absolutely know the places I feel the safest and I pray that everyone has a place where they are safe, secure, loved and protected. I am only relaying what God has revealed to me. I no longer believe a safe haven is necessarily a location. I believe it is a position. My safe haven is my firm position IN CHRIST. There is no other place I can truly be hopeful and unafraid in the face of danger, worry, persecution or troubles.  To be "in Christ" means I accept His sacrifice as payment for my sin.

 

Our rap sheets contain every sinful thought, attitude or action we have ever committed, but when we accept His sacrifice on our behalf, He switches accounts with us. He exchanges our list of sins for His perfect account. In Christ we are safe, secure, loved and protected, plus worthy, holy, valuable, etc. Proverbs 23:7 states, "whatsoever a person thinks within himself, so he is". I believe in the truth of God's promises. I can live a life without fear no matter how temporary my earthly safe havens may be.

 

The cool thing for me is the fact that God has given me the desire to share his love and help others find the safest haven, IN HIM.

 

Rod's Ramblings

"Wow, what a ride?!"  Have I said that before?  I can't stop saying it!  We just signed on the agreement to acquire the Denver House property and are busy cleaning it up!  Quite honestly, I feel like David standing in front of Goliath as he mocks and makes fun of him and the Israelite army. This story is interesting to me.  I recently preached a message on that very topic at a local church entitled, "Killing Goliath"!  Not your typical message title, like "7 Habits of a Highly Effective Church" or "Trust in Jesus, you'll be blessed".  I just had an epiphany in my life that we are in a battle and it's REAL!

Why do I go from one season in my life to the next tackling the greatest of odds and facing HUGE giants?  Am I the only one?  I'd like to think that my Father in Heaven would not put me in these situations.  However, in this story David was chosen by God to encourage and excite a scared, insecure Israelite army.  Every time Goliath came out to fight, the entire Israelite army shuttered and ran away.  But not David,  He said, "who is the uncircumcised Philistine that he should mock the army of the Lord?"  When David took that stone in his sling and hurled it at Goliath, struck him dead, and cut off his head, only then did the Israelite army find courage.  They then chased after the Philistines, struck them all dead, and took all their plunder!  So, I faced the giant (The Denver House). I've hurled the stone (purchased the building), and now waiting to see if it strikes the giant dead (renovations completed).  Join with me in prayer as we pray for the Lord's guidance and we're able to strike the giant down and route the enemy in our region and take back the plunder that has been taken from us; our families, our neighbors, our friends, our community!

Join us for an Italian benefit lunch at Dove Westgate

1755 West Main Street, Ephrata, PA

Lunch will be served at 11:30 a.m.
 

MENU

Stuffed shells
Lasagna
Spaghetti & meatballs
Salad with fixings
Italian bread
Tiramisu
Italian cream cake

All proceeds benefit REAL Life Community Services
Connecting the Community to Hope

Copyright © 2016 R.E.A.L. Life Community Services, All rights reserved.
Thank you for your continued support of R.E.A.L. Life Community Services.

Our mailing address is:
R.E.A.L. Life Community Services
P.O. Box 22
Denver, PA 17517

Add us to your address book


unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp